LOCATION: Nairobi, Kenya
Global Partnerships (GP) is an impact-first investor dedicated to expanding opportunity for people living in poverty. Impact-first investing means investing in a way that seeks the greatest possible social impact, while seeking to preserve capital with a modest financial return for investors. GP believes that impact-first investing has an essential role to play in advancing sustainable solutions to poverty for millions of people worldwide.
GP creates and manages impact-first investment funds that make loans and early-stage investments in social enterprises serving people living in poverty in less developed countries, primarily in Latin America and Africa. The GP team is comprised of mission-driven, dedicated, high-performing colleagues working primarily from offices in Seattle, WA, Bogotá, Colombia, and Nairobi, Kenya. To learn more about Global Partnerships, please visit our website at www.globalpartnerships.org
THE SOCIAL VENTURE FUND
The Social Venture Fund (SVF) is GP’s first early-stage venture fund. The SVF plans to invest in up to 15 high potential, early-stage social enterprises in sectors including education, energy, health, livelihoods, sanitation and water. The fund will support these enterprises through the “pioneer gap” via a combination of seed stage convertible debt, early-stage equity and active Board engagement. The goals of the SVF are to positively impact 5+ million lives over the life of the fund and to return capital with a modest financial return to all fund investors. See the fund’s portfolio here.
The SVF is led by Managing Director Jim Villanueva, who has been investing in early-stage social businesses in developing countries for nearly a decade. Jim is supported by the SVF’s Investment Director, Karen Serem Waithaka, who is based in GP’s Nairobi office.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Global Partnerships is hiring a full-time Investment Analyst for the SVF, to be based in Nairobi, Kenya. The Investment Analyst will report to the Managing Director and will also collaborate with and support the Investment Director. The Investment Analyst will support the team in sourcing, analyzing, executing and monitoring investments in early-stage businesses that align with the SVF’s goals.
This role will be responsible for the following:
- Pipeline development
- Conducting desk research on priority sectors / countries / business models
- Attending the events and pitch competitions of local incubators / accelerators to screen companies.
- Managing the regional pipeline (process, communication, and deliverables) to ensure timely, high-quality documented recommendations.
- Supporting the Investment Director in scheduling / conducting initial meetings / interviews with prospective companies.
- Due Diligence
- Conducting initial reviews of company materials to prepare summaries and recommended next steps for leadership.
- Supporting the development and execution of due diligence plans. The Investment Analyst will be expected to undertake discrete pieces of analysis (financial or otherwise), support regional field visits to identify data sources, conduct interviews and produce market research for sectors and business models.
- Carry out valuations using various methodology to support investment case
- Supporting the Capital and Impact Team (CIT) in the development of new impact initiatives.
- Portfolio Monitoring
- Using Salesforce, maintaining a comprehensive pipeline of opportunities reviewed and invested in, including accurate / complete maintenance of all SVF transaction data.
- Supporting the development of Investment Committee materials, as well as bi-annual investor reports on from SVF portfolio companies regarding both financial and social impact metrics.
- In addition, the Investment Analyst should be ready and able to contribute to any additional investment analysis, or other activities deemed to support the achievement of GP’s goals.
- Independent and creative thinker with the ability to think from first principles and suggest analytical approaches to answering due diligence questions (e.g., estimating market size for a previously non-existent product).
- High attention to detail and strong analytical skills, including demonstrated experience with financial modeling. Experience in additional forms of quantitative analysis a plus.
- Experience and comfort working with ambiguity, flexibility and resilience, as well as an ability to thrive in a fluid and fast-paced environment.
- Has a passion for GP’s mission to expand opportunity for people living in poverty
- Embodies GP’s values: Dedicated, Strategic, Collaborative, Aspirational Learner and Excellence
- Ability to work and reside legally in Kenya
- 1 – 3 years of experience working at a venture capital/private equity firm, investment consulting or investment banking firm or a startup.
- Undergraduate degree in economics, finance, business administration or a related field with strong academic performance.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint.
- Willing to travel frequently including field visits and regional travel; travel requirements estimated at 20%-25% of total business days.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills English required (demonstrated ability to write persuasively in succinct, business English).
- Proficiency in Swahili and / or another East African language.
- The role is based in Nairobi, Kenya
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply via this form (you will be redirected to Paylocity).
Due to the volume of applications received, we will only contact those candidates selected for interviews – no follow-ups, please.
Finalists will be asked to submit references: name, email, and phone number of at least two former supervisors. All offers will be contingent upon reference checks as well as a background check.