POSITION: Portfolio Officer, Latin America Portfolio
LOCATION: Bogotá, Colombia
Global Partnerships (GP) is an impact-first investor dedicated to expanding opportunity for people living in poverty. Impact-first investing means investing in a way that seeks the greatest possible social impact, while seeking to preserve capital with a modest financial return for investors. GP believes that impact-first investing has an essential role to play in advancing sustainable solutions to poverty for millions of people worldwide.
GP creates and manages impact-first investment funds that make loans and early stage investments in social enterprises serving people living in poverty in less developed countries, primarily in Latin America and Africa. The GP team is comprised of mission-driven, dedicated, high-performing colleagues working primarily from offices in Seattle, WA, Bogotá, Colombia, and Nairobi, Kenya. To learn more about Global Partnerships, please visit our website at www.globalpartnerships.org.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The GP Bogotá office team is comprised of six professionals, one Research & Impact Officer, one Portfolio Officer, three Portfolio Directors, and a VP for the Latin America Portfolio. It is a dynamic group passionate about impact investment in sustainable solutions that help improve the quality of life and generate opportunities for disadvantaged communities in Latin America. The Portfolio Officer will play a key role supporting the team to accomplish the goals for the Latin American Portfolio and GP.
This role will be responsible for the following:
- Develops a broad knowledge of all partner (borrower) candidates (MFIs/Agricultural Coops and Enterprises/Other Social Enterprises) operating in targeted countries and identifies candidates for GP funding.
- Proactively seeks opportunities to build the debt portfolio through networking and other means of identifying new partners.
- Schedules, conducts and oversees screening visits to partner candidates to determine whether they are a good fit for GP funding.
- Analyzes the needs, strengths and weaknesses of the candidates and prepares or collaborates with the Capital and Impact Team in preparing the Investment Brief.
- Works in conjunction with the Capital and Impact Team, Social Investment Team, Portfolio Directors, and VP, Latin America Portfolio to ensure that candidates are aligned or are likely to become aligned with GP’s program initiatives.
- Provides support to Portfolio Directors in the negotiation of the possible loan transactions with the partner candidates as well as the issuance of . Supports the Portfolio Director in working with partner candidates to resulting in signed term sheets.
- Provides support to the VP, Latin America Portfolio and Portfolio Directors conducting due diligence with the partner candidate. Completes well-written due diligence reports that are worthy of presentation to the managers of the Social Investment Team, to the Investment Committee, and to certain investors from whom consent is required.
- Confers with on action steps to be taken to strengthen portfolio management and reduce risk related to fund performance.
- Collaborates with the credit monitoring team to provide information and insight into the credit risk of partners and partner candidates.
- Monitors and advises the Social Investment Team on external trends and events impacting the investment portfolio including market changes, regulatory changes, accounting standard changes, etc.
- Provides support and assistance to the Social Investment Team and the Capital and Impact Team for the portfolio management tool (i-Level) used to manage the impact and financial information used for analysis of new investments or to monitor our investment portfolio.
- Translates oral and written information from Spanish to English and vice versa.
- Supports the VP, Latin America Portfolio and Portfolio Directors with partner management, particularly but not limited to COVID-19 pandemic related follow-up of the challenges our partners may be facing.
- Takes part in or supports strategic projects within the organization and specifically in the Bogotá office from time to time as directed by the VP, Latin America Portfolio or other member of the GP team.
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate within and across teams and across cultures
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; capable of highly professional engagement with colleagues and partners
- Self-motivated work ethic, proactive; ability to see tasks through to completion independently
- Organized and capable of balancing multiple priorities, with great attention to detail and thoughtful knowledge management
- Has a passion for GP’s mission to expand opportunity for people living in poverty
- Embodies GP’s values: Dedicated, Strategic, Collaborative, Aspirational Learner, and Excellence
- Excellent academic track record; a degree in business administration, finance, or a similar field required. MBA or other relevant master’s degree
- Three years of relevant professional experience in business analysis, strategy development, investment or market research, management consulting, finance, or another similar field
- A strong interest in and personal commitment to impactful solutions that reduce poverty and need in Latin America
- It will be a plus to have field experience in development programs, such as agricultural technical assistance, implementation of renewable resource/clean energy initiatives, or microenterprise training
- It will be a plus to have credit analysis experience for investments in social enterprises and/or experience in trade finance and asset-based lending.
- It will be plus to have experience in impact investing, with specific knowledge of the microfinance industry, agricultural cooperatives, and social enterprises, and their key organizations in Latin America
- Must be able to travel frequently throughout Latin America
- Business language fluency in English and Spanish required; writing skills in English should be advanced. Portuguese or French will be a plus
- Ability to work legally in Bogotá, Colombia
HOW TO APPLY
If interested, please follow the below link to apply:
Failure to do so may cause a delay in reviewing your application. Interviews with final candidates are required.
Required Application Documents:
- Brief cover letter
Global Partnerships is an equal opportunity employer. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. For priority consideration, please apply by November 30, 2020
Due to the volume of applications, we will contact only those candidates selected for interviews – no follow-ups, please.
Finalists will be asked to submit references, including name, email, and phone number, of at least two former supervisors. All offers will be contingent upon reference checks as well as a background check.