Position Title: Portfolio Officer – Latin America
Supervisor: VP, Latin America Portfolio
Location: Bogotá, Colombia
Start Date: On or before August 1st, 2019
Global Partnerships is an impact-first investor dedicated to expanding opportunity for people living in poverty. For 25 years GP has invested in sustainable solutions that help impoverished people increase their incomes and improve their lives, with core investments in livelihoods, education, health, energy, housing, and sanitation. Since inception GP has deployed nearly $356.5 million in impact investments to over 135 partners, bringing meaningful impact to 14.7 million lives. GP currently invests in partners in Latin America, the Caribbean, and sub-Saharan Africa. The GP team is comprised of approximately 36 mission-driven, dedicated, high-performing colleagues working from offices in Seattle, WA; Bogotá, Colombia; and Nairobi, Kenya.
Essential Job Functions
- Develops a broad knowledge of all partner candidates (MFIs/Agricultural Coops and Enterprises/Other Social Enterprises) operating in targeted countries and identifies candidates for GP funding.
- Proactively seeks opportunities to build the debt portfolio through networking and other means of identifying new partners.
- Schedules, conducts and oversees screen visits to partner candidates to determine whether they are a good fit for GP funding.
- Analyzes the needs, strengths and weaknesses of the candidates and prepares or collaborates with the Impact and Research Team in preparing the Investment Brief.
- Works in conjunction with the Impact and Research Team, Social Investment Team, Portfolio Directors and Regional Vice President to ensure that candidates are aligned or are likely to become aligned with GP’s program initiatives.
- Provides support to Portfolio Directors in the negotiation of the possible loan transactions with the partner candidates, issues letters of interest with accompanying term sheets, and works with partner candidates to close negotiations resulting in signed term sheets.
- Provide support to Portfolio Directors conducting due diligences with the partner candidate and completes a well-written due diligence report in the required format.
- Reviews all drafts of due diligence reports to ensure they are comprehensive, accurate, and worthy of presentation to the managers of the Social Investment Team, to the Investment Committee, and to certain investors for whom consent is required.
- A degree in business administration, finance, or a similar field.
- A high level of verbal fluency in English and Spanish. Writing skills in English should be advanced.
- A strong interest in and personal commitment to impactful solutions that reduce poverty and need in Latin America.
- It will be a plus to have field experience in development programs, such as agricultural technical assistance, implementation of renewable resource/clean energy initiatives, or microenterprise training.
- It will be a plus to have credit analysis experience for investments in social enterprises and/or experience in trade finance and asset-based lending.
- It will be plus to have experience in impact investing, with specific knowledge of the microfinance industry, agricultural cooperatives, and social enterprises and their key organizations in Latin America.
- Must be able to travel frequently throughout Latin America.
How to Apply
If interested, please send the following documents to email@example.com and include your name and the title of the position that you’re applying for in the Subject line. Failure to do so may cause a delay in reviewing your application. Interviews with final candidates are required.
Required Application Documents:
- Cover letter
- Resume – please list your nationality and current address
- Finalists will be asked to submit references: name, contact information
Important Dates & Deadlines
This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.