Globally, about 84% of farms are operated by smallholders with less than 2 hectares of land. Limited access to information and quality agricultural inputs like improved seeds hinders production and income.
We aim to increase incomes and food security of smallholder households by investing in organizations that deliver affordable, high-impact inputs, along with technical assistance.
Who is Served?
The target demographic is subsistence, smallholder farmer families that manage fewer than two hectares, and live on less than $3.20 PPP/person/day.
What is delivered?
Producers must receive:
- Affordable, high-impact agriculture inputs; AND
- Crop and/or livestock specific TA services to understand how to properly use them
- Focus inputs are improved (non-GMO) seeds, fertilizers, and/or veterinary inputs (improved feeds, medicines and/or vaccinations)
- Focus on key staple crops and/or livestock raised by smallholder farmers. Includes cash crops (maize, roots, tubers, fruits and vegetables), dairy cattle, poultry, sheep, pigs and goats.
Why is it impactful?
Net incomes and food security of smallholder farmer families increase and/or stabilize due to:
- Higher and/or more stable crop yields;
- Improved long-lasting soil fertility;
- Decreased mortality and/or increased productivity of livestock;
- Improved farming and/or husbandry techniques.