Globally, about 84 percent of farms are operated by smallholders with less than two hectares of land.24 Smallholder farmers often have limited access to markets, fair prices, and quality agronomic technical assistance.*
GP funds aim to improve the economic position of smallholder farmers living in poverty, and their families, by investing in agricultural enterprises that provide enhanced market access and technical assistance.
WHO IS SERVED?
The target demographic is smallholder farmers that cultivate fewer than five hectares and live on less than $5.50 PPP/person/day.
WHAT IS DELIVERED?
Producers must receive:
- Market access with price premiums; AND
- Crop-focused TA
May also receive:
- TA that incorporates climate-resilient practices
- Certification training
- Access to affordable, high-impact agricultural inputs.
WHY IS IT IMPACTFUL?
Household incomes net increase and/ or stabilize as smallholder farmers:
- Diversify their crops;
- Increase and/or stabilize yields;
- Obtain higher and/or more stable prices;
- Make better use of inputs;
- Reduce postharvest losses; and/or
- Enhance resilience to the effects of climate change.
* “Connecting Smallholders to Markets,” Committee on World Food Security, 2015, http://www.fao.org/3/bq853e/bq853e.pdf.